Monday, May 13, 2013

Chicks & Sharks!

Happy Monday! We have an exciting week ahead of us!!! Our chickies are hatching tomorrow!! The kids have been so excited and are constantly checking for cracks! Two of the eggs were wiggling back and forth all day and before I left today I heard one of them peeping!  So cute! I'm just as excited as the kids!

We have three incubators between the five of us. One egg in another class had a small crack, so were hoping by tomorrow it'll be ready to come out :)

Look closely......can you see it?!?!!!
 
We have their home ready to go!

In our life cycles unit, we've been learning about all kinds of animals. Lately we've been doing a lot with sharks, which the boys love! Here's a few books I've used:


The kids were so into it, I decided to have them do a crayon resist and writing.  I came up with it off the top of my head, so I didn't have a pretty paper made up. :(  But the kids did a fabulous job!! 

When I told them we'd be drawing sharks, of course, the first thing I heard was, "But I can't draw a shark!"  So I did a directed drawing with them.  This was my wonderful shark!


Once they saw how easy it was, they were good to go!  If you haven't done crayon resist before, it's super fun!  The kids color their picture with crayon, but leave the background white.  They have to color pretty hard and make sure they color everything they don't want painted.  Then they paint over everything with blue water color.  They come out beautiful!  Their writing came out pretty cute too! :)






It's fun to see all the details they add :)

If you haven't done crayon resist, give it a try!! 

Have a great week!!!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the crayon resist sharks! Super cute!

    Thanks for stopping by my little blog, I'm your newest follower!

    Mandi
    MOORE Fun In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandi! It's really fun and they always come out nice and bright! I'm happy to have you as my newest follower!! :)

      Delete