Thursday, May 9, 2013

Gifts & Workshop Wednesdays Linky!

I promised you a finished picture of our Mother's Day gifts.....I'm sure you've been eagerly waiting!!!!

We got them all wrapped up today too!  It's quite the project!  You have no idea how hard it is to choose the perfect color tissue paper for mom :)



I had my kiddos take them home today.  I'm hoping they all made it safely!!  I made them promise they'd hold it with two hands, no matter what, until they get home, HA!  A few checked to see if I had extra pots, "just in case."

I'm also linking up with Jivey for Workshop Wednesdays!!  How do I motivate writers?  First off, I LOVE teaching writing.  It is one of my favorite things to teach. 

1.  First of all, I always start a writing lesson with a book that relates to either the topic we are writing about, or the writing trait we are working on.  Then we do a craft!  This gets gives them something hands on to do and gets them excited.  I have found that when they make some sort of animal project, they get the most excited.  I use animals a lot when I am teaching voice.  The kids are always making their little crafts talk to each other before we even begin writing.  This week, for example, we made chicks hatching and the kids had to write as though they were the chick.  How would they feel when they were hatching?  Their writing was amazing!! 

2.  I also have individual writing journals for my kids.  They love them!  Each page has a spot where they can draw a picture and then write about it.  We do some sort of writing everyday.  Some days I give them a beginning sentence, a title, or part of a sentence and they need to go from there.  Sometimes it relates to our reading topic or what we're working on in Science or Social Studies.  I even have them do math number stories in there!  Other times, I let them free write about anything they want.  They love writing in their journals.  I always encourage them to go back and see how much they have improved too :)

3.  I also have a writing center.  I found this book a few years ago in a Scholastic book order.


I made copies of the pages, attached them to folders and stock each one with plenty of paper.  Each one teaches the kids to draw something...there are all kinds of things: tons of different animals, a fire truck, police car, clown, and lots more.  At the bottom of each one, there are three writing prompt choices.  This is one of the centers my kiddos always choose.  They LOVE learning how to draw.  Then they're so excited about how their drawing comes out that they WANT to write about it. :)  They'll even ask if they can use the "how to draw" part when they're writing in their writing journals. 



The key to motivating kids to write it to get them excited about it!  Give them a fun project or drawing to do first and they will always look forward to writing!! :)

Happy Thursday!!

post signature













8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Brandee!! The kids were so excited to bring them home! :)
      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Sarah,

    I love your mother's day gifts, they are adorable. I also have the step by step guided drawing books and the kiddos always love them.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison! They LOVE guided drawings! It's so fun when they start by saying, "I can't draw that" and then end up drawing about ten :)

      Have a good weekend!
      Sarah

      Delete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    I LOVE your Mother's Day gifts!!! I will have to do it next year!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Karli
    Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karli! They are so fun to make and the moms always love them! :)

      Sarah

      Delete
  4. Hi Sarah - I just went and purchased the 'following directions' ebook from scholastic and can't wait to start using it in my writing station! The kiddies are just going to love it =D Thanks for the heads up!

    Casey
    Lifelong Learners in Prep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Casey,

      Yay! You're kids are going to LOVE IT!!! :)

      Sarah

      Delete