Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Countdown Update & Frogs!

We've been having fun with our ABC Countdown.  Last week the highlights were H for Hat Day and I for Ice Cream Day.  Yesterday we had Joke Day....quite the silly day :)  I made them their own little joke books where they could write the own jokes.  They were super cute.  A lot didn't make any sense...which made it even funnier :)


These were a few of my favorite jokes.

Where do fish keep their money?
In the riverbank!

What do you get when you see a cow and a leprechaun mixed together?
Green cheese.

Knock, knock.  
Boo.  Don't cry.  It's just a joke! Hahahehe!

What do you call a pair of bananas peels?
Slippers!


The all time favorite was:

Q: How do you make a tissue dance?
A: Put a little boogie in it.

About half wrote this in their books!  Of course, they needed help spelling the word boogie.  So I wrote it in their dictionaries for them.  While I was writing it, I asked what their moms would think when they brought their dictionaries home and saw that I spelled the word boogie.  Haha!  But it was for the joke book, I had to!

Today was K for Kindness Day.  The hot weather and end of year has them all a bit wound up.  We've had some tattling and arguing, so this was PERFECT.  I set up a Kindness Catcher.  I told them they could write all the nice things they see their friends doing and that we would read them all at the end of the day.  They were so cute.  It was full by the afternoon.  They asked if we could do it for the rest of the year!


We also have been working on the life cycle of a frog.  I usually am able to find tadpoles so the kids can watch them change.  I didn't have any luck finding them this year.  :(  But we've been reading lots of life cycle books and watched a video on the STAR Board (I'm getting better at using it!).

We started this frog craftivity today.  The frogs came out super cute!  Some went a little crazy with the spots, but that's okay!  They are all unique :)


The kids spent so much time creating their froggies that we didn't get much time to work on our thinking maps or writing.  So we will continue to work on them tomorrow!!

Here's a peek at what's inside my Frog Life Cycle pack :)


Happy Tuesday Friends!
post signature

5 comments:

  1. Your joke book is super cute and I love the kindness catcher! I may have to implement that for the last two days of school... my kiddos have been forgetting to be kind!

    Thanks!
    Annie
    Three Cheers for First Grade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kindness Catcher is magical! I hope it worked for your kiddos! Enjoy your last few days!!!

      Delete
  2. Our kindergarten does something very similar to this and it is so much fun! Love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these silly jokes...my kids are always telling them to me. I actually get a kick out of them! I love the kindness catcher!
    Kheila
    Two Friends In First

    ReplyDelete