Friday, September 13, 2013

Five for Friday {September 13}!

Happy Friday!!!!  These first two weeks of school have gone by SO fast!  We have been so super busy!  Lately, I have barely had time to blog so I will try to catch you up on all that's been going on! :) 
fiveforfriday2

1.  Elmer!!  You know I love Elmer!  :)  We read the book this week and then made our own Elmers.  They came out SO CUTE!!  Here are a few of them!!  I gave the kids the choice of starting with a patchwork elephant or a plain elephant.....after all, it's OKAY to be different :)  


2.  More Elmer!!  We also made milk carton Elmers!  I've been collecting milk cartons all summer for this project :)


We still have to add the eyes, but Oh. My. Goodness.  The kids did such an amazing job making these!  They were helping each other glue the tissue paper on and everything.  We even had the whole room cleaned up, with extra time at the end of the day.  You never would have known we made them :)  Here's how to make them!! {Instead of Mod Podge, I mixed Elmers glue (Elmers glue for Elmer hehe!) and water.  I did two parts glue, one part water...easy peasy!}

3.  We have been working a lot on our number sense.  The kids each made their own numberless cards.  Does anyone else use these for math? 


They really help in visualizing the number!!  If you haven't used them, the kids learn to recognize the patterns on the card.  It really, really helps with addition and subtraction!!

Say you have the 4 card.  I would cover two dots and ask how many the kids can see....how many are hidden?  Then the kids tell me what two numbers make 4.  You could also cover just one {which we've been doing this week because we are learning our +1s!}.  Then the kids would say they see 3, 1 is hidden, so 3+1=4. 

4.  I finished up my We Love Fall Literacy Center Pack!  Here's a peek at what's included!


5.  Have you entered my giveaway?!  You could win the World's Best Pencil Sharpener!! :)  Go enter now if you haven't!



Link up with Doodle Bugs to share your Five for Friday! :)
Have an amazing weekend!!







7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love your milk carton ELMERs! They turned out awesome! All your collecting paid off. Your fall literacy centers look great too!
    -Jaime
    Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just posted about those type of number sense activities with the dots, but I've never thought about having the kids make them with stickers, and using those. Genius. Thanks so much for sharing. Oh,and LOVE your Elmers! :)

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the number activity! Perfect for what we are working on next week!
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both of your Elmer crafts! We don't get milk in cartons like those here in Australia so I will have to keep an eye out for an alternative. Thanks for the number idea, too. So simple but super effective for teaching those addition and subtraction skills. :)

    I popped over to visit you from the linky and am your newest follower!

    Lauren
    Love, Laughter and Learning in Prep!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids loved your Elmer unit! I will be blogging about it this week! Thank you for all of your amazing ideas!

    Marcy
    SearchingForTeacherBalance

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your numberless cards. LOVE them! And - Elmers glue for Elmer. So perfect. I can't wait for Letter E to use your Elmer activities! :) Have a great weekend, Sarah!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  7. The numberless cards are perfect for what we are working on right now. I need to make flashcards out of these! The kids will love making these. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete