Thursday, January 23, 2014

Doubles & Doubles +1

We spent the end of last week reviewing our doubles and doubles +1 facts.
Aren't doubles so fun?!

To review, we made a staircase with my little magnet Cuisenaire Rods.
Then I had the kids show me the double for each number.
So someone would come up and put a 1 on top of the 1 rod.
Then we would write the answer above that.

Someone else would put a 2 rod on top of the 2.
We would write the sum on top.

3 on top of 3.
Write sum.

4 on top of 4.
Write sum.

It was around 3 or 4 that someone shouted out,
"WE'RE MAKING A DOUBLES STAIRCASE!!!!!!!"
As if it was the most exciting thing ever!
Which, of course, it IS!


As we continued the kids noticed that all the sums are even.
So we invited Even Steven to the party!!!
(Thanks to Cara at The First Grade Parade for the great idea!)

My kids are pretty solid with their doubles facts, but this was a fun little review!

The next day, we made the doubles staircase again.
Then we reviewed what a doubles +1 fact is.
We added one on top of each double and wrote their sums.


"Ms. J!! THEY'RE ALL ODD!"
So that's when Odd Olly was invited to our little math party! ;)

I think the staircase really helped them visualize what doubles +1 means.
 We are having an Around the World competition with some of the other first grade classes, so we need to know these facts!!! :)

One more thing before I go!
My sweet friend Deirdre at A Burst of First has a super fun giveaway starting tomorrow!

 
Stop by her blog to check it out!  
You could win my Love Bug Math Centers! :)


Good luck my friends!
Have a happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. What another PRECIOUS idea! I sure hope your school and parents (not YOUR parents- because of course they do- I mean your students' parents! haha) appreciate what a fabulous, creative teacher you are. I love your ideas!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete